Founded originally as an affilated college of the University of Calcutta in 1878, Rangoon College was established as Government College in the early 1900s and in 1920 upgraded to University College. In the same year, the secular University College merged with the Baptist-affiliated Judson College to become Rangoon University. The 1964 University Education Act separated several professional departments from the university, establishing them as separate universities: the University of Medicine, the University of Economics, the University of Technology, and the University of Education. At that point, the university was renamed the Rangoon Arts and Sciences University, concerned only with liberal arts, siences and law. In 1989, the university was renamed the University of Yangon. Hlaing Campus is located slightly north of the Main Campus of the University of Yangon within Yangon city.
University of Yangon (Main Campus), University Avenue Road, Yangon 11041, Myanmar
University of Yangon (Hlaing Campus), Hlaing Township, Yangon, Myanmar
Yangon University Library: Over 100,000 (Print Books)// Universities' Central Library: Over 400,000 (Print Books)// Over 17,000 Rare Documents (Palm-leaf Manuscripts/ Parabeiks)